Thursday, September 20, 2012

At 12:01 a.m. exactly one year ago

Obama - Biden
Diane --

As a gay veteran, I had never thought I'd see the day come.

At 12:01 a.m. exactly one year ago today, gay servicemen and women became free to serve openly, thanks to the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT).

My mom raised me to be an honest man with a deep love for my country. When I joined the Navy in 1998, my patriotism came first and my personal life second.

When I chose to leave the armed services, it was because I didn't want to lie anymore. I wasn't ashamed of who I am, and I didn't like feeling as if my country was ashamed of me, either.

There are thousands of gay veterans like me who never got a chance to serve openly, more than 13,000 troops who have been discharged, and countless men and women who might have chosen to serve their country had the policy not been in place.

With the repeal of DADT, I felt a renewed sense of pride in my service, and I know I'm not alone.

Our military is more united than ever. Valor and sacrifice aren't limited by sexual orientation. First-class heroes aren't treated like second-class citizens based on who they love -- gay and lesbian troops don't have to serve our country under false pretenses.

This is what change looks like.

I'm proud to work to re-elect this president. And I'm even prouder to cast my vote for President Obama again this fall.

If you're proud, too, commit to vote today:

http://my.barackobama.com/Commit-to-Vote

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Rico
Obama for America


-----
Election Day is closer than you think -- make a donation to fund this campaign in the time we have left.

Paid for by Obama for America

Contributions or gifts to Obama for America are not tax deductible.

This email was sent to: awolofa@yorkteaparty.org.
If that is not your preferred email address, you can update your information here.

We believe that emails are a vital way for the campaign to stay in direct contact
with supporters. Click here if you'd like to unsubscribe from these messages.
This campaign is a community, and all ideas are welcome.
We appreciate any feedback you might have -- positive or negative.
Click here to contact the campaign with any questions or concerns.
Obama for America, P.O. Box 803638, Chicago, IL, 60680

No comments:

Post a Comment