Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What got me to apply

Obama - Biden
Friend --

I heard that you and other folks across the country have a chance right now to apply to be summer organizing fellows. As someone who's been a fellow before, I have to tell you: You can't pass this up.

When I was a fellow last year, I got to be on the frontlines, learning how to do the organizing work that the President's grassroots campaign is recognized for.

And it led me to my job today as a regional field director for Organizing for America in Dallas, Texas.

Apply to be a summer organizing fellow by filling out this quick form, and someone will get in touch with you.

Crazy as it seems to me now, I almost didn't apply to be a fellow. I had another gig lined up already and thought my plans were all set. But a friend forwarded me the link to apply and told me, "Let's do this." So I did.

I have a lot of amazing memories -- all the friends I made, some unforgettable calls with supporters, late nights in the office, and getting to see President Obama speak in Dallas last October.

As a fellow, it was my job to recruit all the reliable, passionate volunteers I could to join local teams. Then I trained them on the skills they needed to continue planning events in their hometowns. Once those grassroots teams were built, we went to work together -- making calls, walking blocks in neighborhoods, and talking to friends and family about President Obama's record and the accomplishments of other Democrats.

I'm not going to lie: The day-to-day out in the field as a fellow can be tough sometimes. These positions are unpaid, and you'll work a lot of hours. But I learned to power through long call shifts by staying focused on how rewarding the work was -- and with a little help from coffee and takeout.

Our movement is built by this work -- and as a fellow you'll be right there making it happen.

My friend's enthusiasm got me to apply -- and I hope mine gets you to do the same and come be a part of all the important work we've got to do together before November 6th.

If you're interested, let us know now -- and we'll be in touch with next steps:

http://my.barackobama.com/Summer-Organizing-Fellow

Thanks,

Taylor

Taylor Holden
Texas Regional Field Director
Organizing for America

Paid for by Obama for America

This email was sent to: awolofa@yorkteaparty.org

Update address | Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment