Monday, November 24, 2014

Add your voice to mine

Friend --

A few days ago, I announced some steps I'm going to take to start fixing our broken immigration system.

Those executive actions mean we can crack down on illegal immigration at the border, prioritize deporting felons, not families, and require that many immigrants who have been living in the shadows pass a criminal background check and pay taxes. It means we can help up to 5 million people.

Those are steps that will make our country work better. I'm proud to take these actions, and I hope you're proud to support them.

But they do not mean that we have less of a need for comprehensive, bipartisan legislation to fully fix America's immigration system.

Last year, the Senate passed a bipartisan bill -- a good one, even if it wasn't perfect. It would allow many people who've lived here for a very long time but aren't properly documented the opportunity to pay their taxes, get in the back of the line, pass a background check, and go through a process that allows them to earn their citizenship.

That bipartisan Senate bill has sat in the House of Representatives for more than 500 days -- and I believe that it is my responsibility as President to do everything I lawfully can to make sure that we don't keep on making the system worse in the meantime. But let me be clear: I want the actions I took last week to be replaced by action from Congress.

I'm going to be reaching out to congressional leaders moving forward, and encouraging them to join me in passing a comprehensive, bipartisan fix to this problem. Today, I'm asking you to add your voice to mine:

http://my.democrats.org/Support-Immigration-Action

Too much is at stake for too many to stand by and wait any longer. Thanks for being with me, as always.

Barack Obama
























 

Paid for by the Democratic National Committee, 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington DC 20003 and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

This email was sent to awolofa@yorkteaparty.org. If this isn't the best email address at which to reach you, update your contact information. Our email list is the best way we have of staying in regular contact with supporters like you across the country and letting you know about the work President Obama and other Democrats are doing. If you like staying in touch, but want to receive only the most important messages, click here. Click here to unsubscribe from our supporter list, but if you leave, it will be harder for you to stay involved in the organization that you've been such a critical part of. This organization is powered by you, and we'd love to hear your ideas. Send us any comments, criticisms, or feedback here, or just reply to this email! Thanks for supporting President Obama and other Democrats.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment