Thursday, April 23, 2015

This program changed my life



Diane --

Tonight, I have the honor of introducing President Obama at the OFA Spring Summit.

It feels like a dream.

I was only 12 when I watched him deliver the famous keynote address in 2004 -- the story he told the nation that night sounded a lot like my own.

My parents are immigrants who came to this country before I was born, and did everything they could to build a better life for our family. Because they sacrificed, my siblings and I have a chance to succeed.

I've been so fortunate, and I signed up to be an OFA fellow last spring because I want to pay it forward. That'll be at the top of my mind in a few hours when I introduce the President of the United States.

The OFA Fellows Program has changed my life -- and it's giving hundreds of people just like me the tools needed to be great. Today, I'm asking OFA supporters across the country to chip in what you can toward that cause.

As fellows, we learn by doing, using real-world situations to engage on some of the biggest issues facing our communities. We work hard to inspire others to get involved, and pass along the skills we've learned -- that's how we keep this movement growing.

And it's easy to see an impact. Together, our organizers helped make hundreds of thousands of phone calls to spread the word about getting covered. We held events across the country to build the drumbeat on comprehensive immigration reform.

Now, I'm working with OFA to build a program called Fulfilling the Promise, which is focused on amplifying the voices that aren't represented enough in our national dialogue.

Tonight's summit is a celebration of grassroots organizing.

It's the spirit that inspired Barack Obama to start bringing communities together on the south side of Chicago. It's what drives folks across the country to speak up and be heard. It's the stuff that movements are made of.

This is work I plan to be doing for the rest of my life.

I hope you'll consider making a donation today to invest in our future leaders:

https://donate.barackobama.com/Invest-In-Fellows

Thanks,

Jose Del Rio III

















Paid for by Organizing for Action.

Contributions or gifts to Organizing for Action are not tax deductible.

This email was sent to: awolofa@yorkteaparty.org.
If that is not your preferred email address, you can update your information here. We believe that emails are a vital way to stay in direct contact with supporters. Click here if you'd like to unsubscribe from these messages.
Organizing for Action, P.O. Box 618120 Chicago, IL 60661

No comments:

Post a Comment